This hearty paella is made with brown rice and loaded with vegetables and Mediterranean flavor.
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup small whole mushrooms
- ½ cup cubed eggplant
- 10 medium black olives
- 10 medium green olives
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 lb. medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup fresh or frozen green peas
Heat rice, broth, and saffron in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil; cook, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes. Keep covered the entire time or rice will not cook evenly.
While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, bell peppers, mushrooms, and eggplant; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes or until bell peppers are tender.
Add olives, salt, pepper (if desired), and cumin; cook for 1 minute.
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Add rice, tomatoes, and peas to bell pepper mixture; mix well.
Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.